I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, December 11, 2017

That used to be me...except...

Smiles abounded from the three current Chicago ACE teachers and their friend on Sunday afternoon at the Christkindlmarket.

"Thanks for getting us out of the house!"
"Man, I still have my grading left from Monday to do when I get back tonight..."
"This is so much fun. I love it!"

Such were the remarks that quickly followed our greeting. I was glad, too, to have an "excuse" to get out of my house. I'd been curled up with a book most of the day, having gone to the gym and grocery store earlier in the morning, so even though it was cold outside, it was refreshing.

Thankfully, it was less crowded on Sunday than it had been the past weekend. (I think the cloudy and cold weather had something to do with that...) We were able to wander around a bit, standing in lines here and there to browse the shops and purchase some ornaments. We even treated ourselves to hot chocolate in the classic "boot" (though, as you can see below, it's not a boot this year).


After leaving the market, I couldn't help but think, That used to be me...except...I might not have been convinced out of the house on a Sunday night. I used to worry about getting everything done and making sure I was ready for the week. I needed people to be the ones to get me out...and now, I find myself as one of those people. It's not because I care any less, but I think, instead, it's because I recognize the value of balance. I think sometimes it is possible to work too much - you have to be able to say no. You have to find some way to recharge.

And so I commend those ACE teachers for doing something I probably wouldn't have done myself but that is much needed, especially during the holidays. (Plus, I told them they can now say they've been to the Chicago Christkindlmarket - them + half of Chicago + tons of tourists...)


Now, here we are - only one more Monday to go until Christmas break - woo hoo! It's pretty hard for me to believe it, actually. Time sure flies...

To celebrate, here are a few highlights from today before I close:

One of my grade school teachers posted this on FB, and it brought a smile to my face :)

One of my Advent angels fulfilled a wish for dark chocolate...

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year!

I went out to help a friend with Christmas card stuff and found myself covered in snow - was NOT expecting that but was pleasantly surprised. I caught a snowflake or two on my tongue...



Tomorrow, December 12, is the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe - Catholics have so many ways and reasons to celebrate Mary during Advent - and so let us, once again, entrust ourselves and loved ones to our Mother: La virgen de Guadalupe, ruega por nosotros!

a gift from one of my students last year who visited Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment