I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Friday, December 22, 2017

A Day in the Life of Miss Foyle...or is it Miss Foyle?

The reaction is (nearly) always the same:

"Wait...but who's the real Miss Foyle?"
"How can you both be Miss Foyle?"
"You look alike - you have the same face."

#twinquestions
#adayinthelifeofidenticaltwins

It blows kids' (and many adults') minds that Marisa and I are identical twins. But it's still amusing to get the same reaction time after time, whether Marisa comes with me to my school or, as was the case today, I go to Marisa's school. It just so happened that I had the day off school today, as we ended for Christmas break on Thursday, so it clearly just made sense that I would go to school on my day off.

I had the honor of finding a new hiding place for Humphrey, the Elf on the Shelf. Let's just say he was hanging around when the kids came in from breakfast.



Overall, the day was a lot of fun. I spent most of it with her students; though, the school has a tradition of "Christmas Around the World," where the students rotate through all of the classrooms/teachers to learn about different cultural celebrations for the Christmas season. Marisa's classroom was Russia. (Please don't ask me how to pronounce "Merry Christmas" in Russian because I can't.)



Students watched a short video about Christmas in Russia while coloring matroyshka dolls. They kept coloring as the audio switched to Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker Suite." (A few pirouettes were not out of the question.)


Mine's the one on the left

After lunch I had the chance to be a guest reader for my sister's class - it was a book about a tree who wanted to grow big for Christmas but learned it would have to wait and try to be the best it could be at its own height. I'd never heard it before...



Pretty soon it was time for Christmas carols and tamales. I think everyone enjoyed themselves. When it was time to pack up, it was evident that the students were ready for the break, especially a break from one another. Before leaving, many came to give me a hug and to thank me for coming. Of course, it was my pleasure. I wish I could do it more often, but with nearly identical schedules, it makes it difficult.

Heading home for the holidays tomorrow...praying that traffic isn't too heavy and that the weather stays calm...

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment