I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Phantom Tollbooth, Standing the Test of Time...

To keep myself sane in the midst of unit performance assessment grading, I turned to one of my favorite hobbies: reading.

And I didn't just read any book - I turned to an old favorite, The Phantom Tollbooth. With countless puns (from the Island of Conclusions you get to by jumping to Dictionopolis where you literally eat your words) begging to be laughed at on every page, the novel is brimming with whole-hearted fun and opportunities for belly laughs. But what makes this book a true classic (in my humble opinion) is the many messages/themes Milo (the main character) comes to understand about spending time, being creative, and seeing what's in front of you with new eyes. (Think Wizard of Oz "no place like home" theme.)


Bottom line - I can't wait to read this aloud to my 6th grade ELA class at the start of the school year, for I think it was during my own 6th grade year when I first fell in love with it. (I'm glad some of my tastes (especially in books) haven't changed much since then.)

There is so much to be learned from books - we just have to put the "right" ones in each student's hands...

Tonight, I leave you with a few Phantom nuggets of wisdom:






P.S. Did you know they made a Phantom Tollbooth movie? I've only watched a bit of it so far, but it seems pretty close to the book. Check it out on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment