I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, July 7, 2014

Coming Back Home (Sunday, 6/29/14)

Sunday, 6/29/14

Airport it is – only one small hiccup for our group getting to our destination this morning – Bede’s wake-up call didn’t work. But we made it! (And she wasn’t too frazzled!)

It’s good to be going home, but it will be difficult to leave all of these wonderful people in our group. Yes, most of us live in Chicago, but it just won’t be the same when we get back…

One of the things that surprised me the most was how long our trip actually felt – usually trips seem to fly by, but this one didn’t. Michael pointed out that while we were staying at the Scots Hotel that each day seemed like 2 – excursions during the day and time by the pool/dinner at night. (So relaxing!)

One of the things I liked the best was how you could just pick up a conversation with anyone – on the tour, in the pool, on the bus, at dinner… Everyone was just so lovely and open. This trip was truly a pleasure.

There is a lot for me to think about in the coming weeks (and for the rest of my life). My heart will never be the same…

For one thing, I think the Gospels will be more alive and meaningful when I hear them at Mass or Bible study. To imagine/visualize the Sea of Galilee or walking from Gethsemane to Caiphas’s house – wow! To also remember where we were celebrating Mass together here in the Holy Land when I hear specific readings will be special too. Hearing the Easter readings in the Crusader chapel at the Holy Sepulchre and the Beatitudes outside on the mount – memories for a lifetime…

I think my favorite thing, though, will be the Christmas carols – I will never hear/sing those the same again. The words have taken on new meaning, if only I remember to listen…

Back to airport reality: everyone seems to be finally waking up. (And considering we all started our day at 3 a.m., that is pretty impressive.)

I don’t think anyone stayed up too late last night. Personally, I shared in wine and conversation with Mary, Marisa, Kim, Sylvia, Katie, and Megan. (And we were upstairs by 9 or so…)


I’m pretty sure we’ll be boarding soon. Here we go…

No comments:

Post a Comment