I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Taking Time

Once I stopped to think about it, I never quite understood the phrase "making time" - we don't make it at all. We take time, or we regulate or designate time. But make it? No.

This Lent, I'm on a mission to use my time more purposefully - getting up a little earlier, surfing Facebook and Pinterest less, attending prayer opportunities, and more. Two days in, I feel pretty good; though, the getting up early thing may get a little rough. (Last night, I conked out at 8:30!) 38 more days to go...

Meanwhile, on the classroom front, it's been an interesting experience trying to explain the three pillars of Lent to my students: What really is fasting all about? Why do we give alms? What should our prayer look like? It's funny how the kids sometimes get caught up in the technical wording of things, both in the Bible and in the Catechism. (It reminds me a little of the Pharisees.) Sometimes, all I can do is shake my head - you're missing the point! Ah, well, we discuss and move on.

I feel like Lent is made for a lifelong learning process - hence why we get to experience it every year. It's good to know I won't be able to give them all the answers this time around... (Heck, I don't even know all the answers.)

Before I close tonight, I continue to ask for special prayers for my Confirmation students - they receive the Sacrament in the presence of the Bishop and their families this Friday night.

My mom asked me if they're ready...my reply was, "I sure hope so." We've prayed, reviewed, and practiced. The only reason they may respond "and also with you" instead of "and with your Spirit" while being anointed would be because they are nervous.

I hope that Friday night is just the next step in their lifelong faith journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment