I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Has Lent become a blur...?

Today's Sunday Lenten Reflection Series (through the University of Notre Dame) caught my eye with the following prompt:

Take a moment to evaluate your Lenten observances. Is the season passing by in a blur? To what practices might you re-commit yourself, in order to distinguish the month ahead from any other random selection of days?

These questions really made me take notice, pause, and reflect. Has this Lent become routine? Sure, I have my Lenten promises...but are these commitments aiding my entrance "into the desert" in preparation for the most sacred time of our Church year, which is just about a month away? Or, am I merely going through the motions - doing them because I can't break a promise or because this is what I do every Lent each year?

In all honesty, it's probably the latter. In fact, I'm sure it is. Things and routines look different on the outside, but, on the inside, I feel the same. My "Lenten lens" seems to be missing...or cloudy.

Yet, in today's Gospel, we listen to Jesus' Transfiguration on the mountain - a truly transformative experience. And so, as we continue our Lenten journeys, may we be reminded of Jesus' presence slowly transforming our own lives. May we continue to enter into this Lenten experience with our hearts and arms open wide, offering up our fasting, prayer, and almsgiving lovingly to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment