I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, March 31, 2014

Empty Hands

There was a beautiful reflection on Spirlaw on Monday about God wanting to give us something but he can't because our hands are already full.

It reminded me of a poem my dad showed me awhile back. (I'm pretty sure I've included it in a blog post before, but it's a good one to include again.)

One by one He took them from me, 
The things I valued most, 
Until I was empty-handed; 
 Every glittering toy was lost. 

And I walked Earth's highways grieving, 
In my rags and poverty, 
'Til I heard His voice inviting, 
"Lift your empty hands to me!" 

So I held my hands toward Heaven, 
And He filled them with a store, 
Of His own transcendent riches, 
'Til they could contain no more. 

Then at last I comprehended, 
With my stupid mind, and dull, 
God cannot pour His blessings, 
Into hands already full. 

- Martha Snell Nicholson

"Stuff" tends to be an overwhelming burden in our society, often taking over our time and energy. Lent is a good time to reflect on what "stuff" is preventing us from lifting our hearts, minds, and hands to God. It is a time to ask ourselves what we need to rid ourselves of in order to make more room for God's abundant graces and love...

No comments:

Post a Comment