I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Giving of Gifts

Tonight, my sister and I celebrated our birthdays. I admit that I love birthdays when it's my turn to give gifts - it's probably because I usually see things that are "perfect" for someone and can't wait to see his/her reaction.

Such was my gift combo tonight. (At least, that was my opinion.)

I had three things for my sister - one spiritual, one practical, and one silly/somewhat practical because she's a teacher.

1. Story of a Soul (the autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux) - This book is an excellent read that truly is good for every soul. It is a beautiful account of a saint whose life, while not long, was filled with the knowledge and wisdom of God. She is both my sister's and my Confirmation saint, and as I continue to read this very same book (yes, we now each have a copy), I am blown away by her complete and utter devotion to God, even as a small child.

2. An NPR Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me travel coffee mug - I'll let the picture speak for itself, but I thought the teal blue color was just perfect, and the design is clearly very chic. (See below)

 

3. Chopsticks - As its name suggests, this book is about chopsticks who are best friends and have literally been together their whole lives. Well, one poor chopstick gets hurt and is rushed away, so the other chopstick must learn how to make it on his own. (And he does so in style.) There are plenty of plays-on-words (a lot of kitchen humor) and cute illustrations. In the end they learn an important lesson of standing strong both together and apart. (Connections, Ms. Foyle!)

Good times. I must admit, when it comes to birthdays, it sure is nice to share one. (And that's not just because I got a present in return...) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment