I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Empty and Full

With the desert beauty and the magnificent mountains fresh in my memory, I got to thinking about my time out West both in and post-ACE. I thought of all the activities I volunteered for, all the games I went to, all the extra hours I spent grading and lesson planning. And that made me think of how I grew (both spiritually and personally), how I learned, and how I loved (and was loved in return).

As you'll see in the poem below, I know I emptied my hands every day over those three years (and I strive to continue to do so in my present positions too), and there were times when I felt lost and unsure of where all that effort was going... And then, I take a step back - a move away from where I was - and I see it. The students still remember things I taught them and said; the families still cared about me and how I have been doing; the spirit of the Salesians and Holy Cross priests lives on at the school...

This weekend, I was filled to the brim with God's goodness and love. Everyone's loving kindness and hospitality energized me to continue to pour out that love in all I have done and continue to do this week. God almost quite literally hit me over the head in AZ and showed me through my friends and students that He loves me.

He loves you too. It's time to enter into His love and the ever-revolving circle of emptying and refilling.

I hope you enjoy the following poem as much as I do:


Empty Hands


One by one He took them from me,
All the things I valued most;
Until I was empty-handed,
Every glittering toy was lost.


And I walked earth's highway, grieving,
In my rage and poverty,
Till I heard His voice inviting,
''Lift your empty hands to Me.''


So I held my hands toward heaven
And He filled them with a store
Of His own transcendent riches
Until they could hold no more.


And at last I comprehended,
With my mind stupid and dull,
That God could not pour His riches
Into hands already full!


It's true - I absolutely love that poem. (Thanks again, Dad.) And it makes me think of other wise words (attributed to Mother Teresa): "Give yourself fully to God. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love than in your own weakness."

In giving fully of ourselves, we are emptying ourselves to make more room for God's love to share. And it's a beautiful cycle of emptying and refilling, as long as we continue to pour out Christ's love to others.

2 comments: