I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, April 28, 2014

I want to be a Saint!

In the classroom, today was definitely not a red-letter day.

In fact, as class ended, I doubted that the 6th graders had retained any information about the steps in the canonization process. (On a side note, this video from Busted Halo has a pretty straightforward explanation.)

Thankfully, I turned out to be wrong. Even in the chaos and chatter (yes, I wholeheartedly admit that happened today) of the classroom, I somehow was able to drive the message home. One student got so excited while we were discussing the steps as a class that she exclaimed, "I want to be a Saint! That's cool!"

(Can't ask for more than that, can I?)

When I explained to her that each of us probably won't be named official Saints by the Church, we hope to one day be in heaven with God (and that doesn't make us any less holy). She followed up to this by asking, "Well, is there a day for all of those people who don't get named by the Church?" (Yes, All Souls & All Saints Days.)

Hopefully I can chalk the students' behavior up to Monday...come tomorrow, time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment