I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Be Mary

No, I didn't type that title incorrectly. In the midst of the holiday onslaught that is taking over our culture, stores, Starbucks, and more, I'm talking about a different kind of merry/Mary.

Visiting...Mary (of "Martha and Mary" fame) had it right.

Over the past couple of days, I have done my share of visiting - dinner reunion with my ACE housemates, Ministry of Care, and 4th grade volleyball end of the season celebration. All of these were such a blessing...and all of them required one thing - being present to those around me. Sounds simple enough...but sometimes in our culture, that's hard to do...

The school day on Friday was, in and of itself, a good day. But it was my after school activities that motivated me that day. After stopping by Jewel -Osco to pick up some much needed cookie dough (a Phoenix house tradition), I met up with one of my ACE housemates whom I had not seen in just over a year. We went for a nice run together and had a chance to catch up on quite a bit. The weather was perfect, the pace was just right...loved it. Afterwards, dressed in our sweaty apparel, we met up with 3 of our other ACE housemates for an at-home crockpot dinner of Italian beef (another Phoenix house staple). While at the dinner table, we took the opportunity to Skype with our housemate & her husband who are currently teaching in China. (Hail, hail, the gang's all here!) After that evening, I can safely say that some things never change - it was so good to be with all of them and to share in a simple, home-cooked meal.

Saturday morning came quickly, and I found myself at the bedside of a few patients at the hospital. While I didn't spend too much time in each room, I did find a sense of deep peace resting in God's presence as I brought holy Communion to those people. I didn't say much...I didn't have to. My presence was enough to let them know the Church community is praying for and thinking of them. Their presence was enough to let me know that God works through many people and through simple means/actions.

Just after noon, I made my way to the house of one of my volleyball players. All 6 girls and some of their parents (and siblings) came out to celebrate the season and to spend time together. I had such a great balance between talking with the parents and spending time with the girls. I was there for nearly 3 hours, but the time flew. We shared food and conversation around the table while the girls made a movie trailer in the basement. (On a side note, iMovie looks amazing!) It took me over 30 minutes to actually leave because I kept talking with the girls and the parents kept chatting too. Many asked if I would coach the girls in the spring and even next fall, but I can't commit either way yet (as much as I'd like to). I leave that up to our athletic director to put me where he needs me most. We'll have to wait and see which team next year that turns out to be...

Trust me, I had plenty of things I needed to accomplish over the many hours I spent in the activities above. [In fact, the first thing I did when I got home after a quick trip to Target with my sister (another short visit!) was finish scoring the 6th grade religion tests.] But the visiting time was renewing, necessary, and much-needed.

More time being, less time doing. That's what our culture needs.

In these weeks leading up to (Thanksgiving and) Christmas, be merry, yes. But challenge yourself to be Mary too...

1 comment:

  1. good one! loved this post... it's hard not to be martha ;)

    ReplyDelete