I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A First Time for Everything...

Breathless and skidding to a stop in front of me on Monday morning was one of my 6th grade girls. Rolling up her pant leg, she exclaimed, "Guess what I did this weekend, Miss Foyle!"

I couldn't imagine.

"I shaved my legs for the first time! Well, we tried "waxing" with masking tape first, but that didn't work."

"Does your mom know?" I asked, smiling.

"Oh yeah, she helped me do it."

I couldn't help but chuckle.

And then, I thought about it. Yep, 6th grade at about this time in November was the first time I shaved too. It's funny how those memories stick out in your head. But I remember distinctly going to cotillion for a November square/country dance and having a classmate ask, "Did you shave your legs or are you wearing stockings?" to which I replied, "Both."

So many changes happen in middle school - these kiddos are only just beginning - but I see evidence of it every day, whether they realize it or not. They look (but don't usually act) so mature at times that you forget that deep down they are only 11 or 12...

And then, it makes perfect sense that they still love when their teacher shows them Bible cartoons... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment