I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thanks...

Thoughts of Thanks
KMF (11-1-12)


Where have all the "thank yous" gone?
I pray it's not too far they've strayed
A mere two words is not too long
To thank someone for what he gave.

But kids today (and adults too)
Take much for granted, it is true.
What used to be enough's now not -
We're not content with what we've got.

Always wanting more and more -
Comparison robs us of our pleasure.
And happiness walks out the door,
that which was our truest treasure.

My greatest wish today is this -
That complaining we could resist.
And in its place, we say a phrase
of thanks - Oh, let that guide our days!

Some days, I have to wonder if parents still teach their children manners at home. And, maybe it's not (or at least not all) the parents' fault, but the fact that more and more people (especially students) I meet have a sense of entitlement about them worries me.

That's where the inspiration for this poem (that I wrote today) came from. We had leftover snacks from our 2nd annual Chocolate House today, so we decided to share them with the aftercare students. When we limited them to 2 snacks to start with, a chorus of "What?!" and "Why can't we have more?"s rang out, and I just became disheartened. What happened to being thankful for a small treat - which is more than they would have had in the first place.

I'm not blaming anyone...except maybe society. With instant gratification & indulging behaviors towards their children, I fear we're raising a society of self-centered and oblivious-to-others people. And, quite frankly, that scares me. I know that this instance today was just one, and it wasn't every child who complained, but I don't think I'm overreacting. (In fact, the woman with whom I had aftercare duty agreed with me too.)

I pray that people don't lose their sense of gratitude - after all, we are entitled to nothing. Everything is a gift or is earned (or, at least, that's how we should look at it).

Hopefully, this entry didn't put a damper on your day/evening. It's meant to provoke thought more than anything else. And I pray for a future of gratitude for all of us. Our world needs a little more thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment