I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Letting Go of What Could Have Been

On the news this morning came a story about a dad and his son - his son with autism.

It was a short piece, but it was very powerful. One thing the father said really stuck with me: "What I learned was that I had to let go of the son that I wanted so that I could love the son I had."

And that's a message we could all do well to remember - sometimes things don't happen the way we want or even expect them to. But we can't just stand there, holding on to what could or should have been. We need to focus on what we have and learn how to embrace it. These things, events, and people are gifts to us - maybe they're just packaged differently. And they can teach us some incredible lessons.

So tonight I find myself reflecting on some questions:


Am I holding on to any "could have beens" that are keeping me from the things or people I do have currently in my life?
If so, am I ready to let go so that I might love greater those people and things I have in my life now?


How about you? Are you ready to let go to prepare more room to love?


(By the way, you can see/read the ABC news story here.)

1 comment:

  1. love it! thanks!

    today's henri nouwen quote is fitting too:

    Community, a Quality of the Heart

    "The word community has many connotations, some positive, some negative. Community can make us think of a safe togetherness, shared meals, common goals, and joyful celebrations. It also can call forth images of sectarian exclusivity, in-group language, self-satisfied isolation, and romantic naiveté. However, community is first of all a quality of the heart. It grows from the spiritual knowledge that we are alive not for ourselves but for one another. Community is the fruit of our capacity to make the interests of others more important than our own (see Philippians 2:4). The question, therefore, is not "How can we make community?" but "How can we develop and nurture giving hearts?"

    ReplyDelete