I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's a Sign

I started an after-school sign language club with visions of 30+ students in it that would be similar to the one I had out in Arizona.

Somehow 30 became 3 this year. But who's counting. In fact, I vividly recall often speaking to my students last year that I would rather have only 5 students that really wanted to be there rather than 30 who were there to goof around. 

Looks like I got my wish.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed at first. But I have enjoyed the first two classes very much. The three girls (two first graders and one second grader) are so darn cute. 

We've done quite a lot so far...

the manual alphabet and numbers (through 20),



the "Happy Birthday" song,



"Silent Night" (even though Christmas season is over),



"All You Works of God" and "Create in Me",



and other random signs.



And, as long as they show up and want to learn, then I promise to show up and want to teach. 

(Although, next year I made a contingency - we'll probably only have the club if we can get at least 5 students. That's fair, right?)

2 comments:

  1. Alexandra wants to know what day you hold the class. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuesdays :)

    (That means no days off, though. Ha ha)

    ReplyDelete