I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 29, 2012

How do you spell home?

'Cause they say home is where your heart is set in stone 
where you go when you’re alone 
Is where you go to rest your bones 
It’s not just where you lay your head 
It's not just where you make your bed
As long as we’re together, does it matter where we go? 
Home



I've thought a lot about home recently, actually. 

In fact, there have been a number of places I have called home so far in my lifetime -->

Florida, where I spent my childhood, adolescence, and college years (and where I now return to on vacations)...
Michigan, where I enjoyed many carefree summers at my grandparents' house...
Arizona, where I began my teaching career...
Notre Dame, where I spent three incredible, faith-filled summers (and now football games)...

And, now, I find myself in my latest home. It's one home that I feel I kind of eased into slowly - testing the waters, not sure if I was ready to embody my neighborhood and school right away. Looking back at this summer, it all felt so new and so surreal. I think I must have spent at least the first couple of weeks (if not the first couple of months) trying to figure out if I made the right choice for my new home and trying to figure out why I had moved away.

Even today, in the midst of Catholic Schools' Week Mass, I had my doubts of calling this place home. But then, I saw the students and their families (and even received a few hugs from the students and from fellow faculty), and I had that feeling of realizing that I am home.

With God beside me, I see myself in the context of the above song: "As long as we're together, does it matter where we go? Home."

1 comment:

  1. nice post... and with my class we've been talking about God's home too ;)

    ReplyDelete