I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

“Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.”
- Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)

In taking just a moment to let the words of this quote sink in, I realized how true it is. We can say a whole lot of things, give tons of directives, or make a lot of promises - but what good are these words without actions to back them up?

This quote made me think back to this past Saturday when I was at the hospital. Jack, the minister of care I was shadowing, kept talking about how the ministry program coordinator doesn't just tell everyone where to go (words) - she gets out there (action) and works in one of the toughest places, the psychiatric ward. Jack was clearly impressed by her actions because he knows her heart is in the right place, and he can trust her to help direct his part of the ministry too.

And in the classroom, am I not called to do the same? How can I expect students to do something (and to do it successfully) if I haven't done it first for myself? How can I teach about being a follower of Christ if I'm not living out such practices in my own? 


(Just me?)

But seriously, aren't we all (in whatever line of work we're in) supposed to get in there and get our hands dirty? Haven't we all had that boss or supervisor who stands out because he/she did the work right alongside us?

(You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't you?)


Bottom line - When it comes down to it, words don't influence people; actions do. So, be a doer - and be a model for others. As Ben Franklin said, "Well done is better than well said."


(For more quotes about action, click here. There's some good ones...)

2 comments:

  1. julie said she heard a calm voice after school today, and it was you- just staying calm with the students speaks volumes when you don't lose your patience... well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very calm.

    But you must know...there were only 2 students today.

    Still excited for the sign language club though. :)

    ReplyDelete