I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

When does life become too busy?

If ever again I think it's a good idea to tackle grad school, coach a sport, run a marathon, and help plan a wedding in the same year, someone please make sure I get my head examined.

At times, when my schedule comes up in conversation, it becomes almost comical -->

Friend at church: Oh, so once you're done with grad school, you can start coaching again, right?
Me: I'm coaching volleyball this spring.
Friend: And you're training for your marathon.
Me: Yep.
Friend: Wait, so what hobby are you going to take up next year?
Me: Guitar?

And this one -->

Principal: What are you going to do with all your free time next year once grad school is over?
Me: Maybe I'll finally get a life.

And people wonder why I haven't been dating recently.

It's not that I regret any of it - as you can see, I apparently love being busy. But, in all honesty, I'm not quite sure what I was thinking. (Though, in all fairness, the combo of grad school and my sister's wedding was not part of the deal when I started Remick.) But, at times I worry because being so busy is exactly what got me into trouble last year - I wasn't able to take the time and space to just sit with my thoughts and reflect on what was happening in my life, especially in some of my relationships.

I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel (at least this one currently in front of me - who knows when the next tunnel will start), though - I've only one more paper (granted, it's a big one) due for grad school this semester, and the marathon is just about two weeks away. Once my sister's bridal shower is over, the only thing I'll really need to worry about for the wedding is working on my speech. And, perhaps best of all, I am turning off my phone and going on a camping road trip right after school gets out. Talk about finding time and space to clear your head!

Being busy (with the right things that give life meaning and purpose) is good, but there is such a thing as being too busy (even with lots of the "right stuff") in my humble opinion. Here's hoping that I can find that balance sooner rather than later.

And then, just maybe I will finally get a life...

No comments:

Post a Comment