I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Time Out! Time to Reset.

I like long walks on the lakefront...
That may sound silly,
like something you'd put on a dating website profile,
but, for me, it's necessary
because it's good for my soul.
A long run, a long bike ride, a long hike -
all of these serve this purpose too.
Just give me time and the great outdoors,
and God will do the rest.

I took myself for a walk today,
as I know the rains and colder temperatures will come tomorrow,
and I will be stuck inside.
I took a break from my school law exam -
my brain just couldn't handle it.
I wanted to clear my mind...

I wanted to breathe in the fresh, beautiful air
and to soak in the sunshine.
I didn't see a cloud in the sky,
but of course I can't show you that,
as I left my phone behind
and had no means by which to capture a photo.
Sometimes I think I spend too much time
trying to get the picture "just right"
instead of being present.
I'm working on this.
I left my watch behind too -
I went at my own pace
with no real destination
except to eventually come back home before the sun set.

I saw so many people out and about.
And dogs. Lots of dogs.
It made me want a dog.
Flowers lined many of the streets,
or, sometimes, there was just a single flower all alone.
I even saw more tulips -
Did you know they close up at night?
Still, they are magnificent.

I talked to God on my walk, too.
I've had a lot on my mind recently
and my list of people to pray for
is growing longer by the day.
God sees everything -
how freeing it is when we lay it all before Him.
He loves us in our brokenness -
and sometimes I feel truly broken -;
He forgives us and heals us.
He strengthens us and loves us.
I was overwhelmed.

As I sit here at my dining room table,
I think about the week ahead,
though I know I still have Sunday to work and relax.
There is much to accomplish before the next weekend comes around.
Because of this
I am truly grateful for my short walk today.
I needed to breathe and relax.
I needed to reset and to remember the bigger picture
instead of getting caught up in my to-dos.

Thank you, God, for this day.
And thank you for the grace to realize Your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment