I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

And so we fight on

If you ask a teacher (especially at a Catholic school) why he/she went into education, I guarantee you it wasn't for the money. If it was, then that person is either pulling your leg or needs to have his/her head examined. Instead, many teachers would likely share some sentiment about wanting to make a difference or wanting to work with young people.

It's selfless and noble, if you think about it. We need more people in our world with such desire.

The challenge with this idea, though, is that there are many days that leave teachers feeling frustrated, disheartened, or downright defeated. Students (and parents) question your decisions, valuable class time is lost, students don't turn in their homework...

And teachers think,

Did anything I say stick with them today? 
Am I actually a good teacher? 
I don't get paid enough for this...

I was going through some of these same thoughts after a few episodes with one class in particular this week. (And I was even absent from school on Tuesday, so I didn't even see my students that day.) I had just made a concentrated effort to help students learn about the Mass, and I overheard some of them this morning excited that they didn't have to go due to the fact that it was canceled because of inclement weather. Talk about disheartening...

But, as I was sitting at my desk this afternoon, I had the urge to pick up the Holy Cross prayer book I was given through my grad school program, and I turned to today's reflection. Here it is in part:


If the book would have fallen on my head I don't think I would have gotten the message any clearer. The reflection says that "we will make a difference if we have the devotion, the generosity, and the faith..." (emphasis added) We have to trust in God that we are right where we need to be and to respond to this understanding with surrender and love.

So, yes, there will be times when students just don't seem to get it or when we go through things for the seemingly twentieth time. But they really do hear...and the seeds are being planted. It's definitely important to remind ourselves of this from time to time.

I was also reminded that none of us works in isolation to make a difference - together with parents, fellow teachers (past, present, and future), their classmates, and others, we are all part of a much bigger picture. It's truly a team effort. 

Catholic school teachers make a difference, yes, but it's not about a difference for our own purposes, for we are only able to do that which God makes us able to do.We are making a difference in terms of building up the Kingdom of God.

So, to all of my Catholic teacher and leader friends, keep fighting the good fight - our students are saints in the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment