I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, April 30, 2018

Who knew that a simple yes would lead me here...

Five years...
Ten seasons...
Twelve girls (six of them since the beginning)...

How did I get so lucky to coach my volleyball team? The timing of starting to coach at my school truly worked out - I cannot imagine a better bunch of young women with whom to have traveled this road.

Back in fourth grade, it was an amazing game if the girls could get their underhand serves over the net consistently (and more than just a few in a row). Over time, that changed to placing underhand serves and then to serving overhand. Now, some of my kiddos even jump serve (which is something I didn't even do in high school) - but that skill is no thanks to me; it's thanks to their club coaches.

More important than their skills, be they serving or passing or hitting, is their attitude and how they treat one another. These things have been a rollercoaster, especially when the girls hit their teenage years. How many times did I share a hug or lend a listening ear to girls who were upset with one another due to something that happened at school or that was sent via a text? Probably too many to count. But, for the most part, they've outgrown the bickering and grudges; though, as they are still just 13 and 14 years old, these still surface from time to time.

And, most importantly, I hope they will remain young women of prayer. Each game and practice is offered up to Mary, our Mother - the girls start right into the Hail Mary after circling up, for they have been doing that since our very first practice together. I hope they realize just how important and special Mary is for our faith and for their lives. And I personally pray that Mary continues to watch over them as they go on to high school.

When you approach the end of something, it becomes harder and harder to let go. While I don't teach 8th grade this year, I guarantee you that I will be a complete mess at graduation (and our last game in a few weeks). Each of them (and their incredible parents) has such a special place in my heart that will never be replaced. And I give thanks each day for saying yes to coaching 4th grade volleyball way back in 2013...

No comments:

Post a Comment