I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, March 16, 2015

What an Amazing Grace It Is!

I was never a huge fan of the song "Amazing Grace" growing up - it was one of those ones that, when we sang it, I didn't really feel anything special. It was just a song, one we had to sing every so often because it sounded good. (So, needless to say, I have, over time, committed it to memory.)

However, last night at my church's contemplative Mass, I had a different experience. I think what hit me this time was the word grace (which clearly is in the title, but which, also clearly, I have taken for granted) - it's not by any means of our own that we earn salvation; it's already been won by Jesus who died for us on the cross! (How many times have I sung this song and not really thought of that?!) I think all of the weekly Fr. Barron Catholicism lessons are finally starting to hit home...

It was, to sound cliche, amazing to finally (after all these years) come to this realization - what an amazing grace God has given us! Now, it's our turn to go out in the world, accept it, and share it with others!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
On an unrelated note (but one that, in some way, has to do with graces), I am so grateful to the family and friends who helped Marisa and me celebrate our birthday this weekend. From enjoying a fish fry after conferences on Friday to phone calls and texts to St. Patrick's Day festivities to getting ice cream to gathering together for margaritas and chips after Mass last night - wow.

Now, if only Michigan State had won their bball game versus Wisconsin yesterday, it would have been pretty perfect... c'est la vie...

No comments:

Post a Comment