I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Lesson in Humility

This past week's Catholicism lesson focused on prayer, so we had a lot to discuss at our table groups. (There never seems to be enough time to get to all the good stuff!) 

Many good thoughts were shared, but I took away something even more important for my own relationship with God: What's hindering your prayer life? Lack of humility.

When I think of my life, I don't go out of my way to seek the praise of others, but if I do something (especially a BIG something) and some people fail to recognize it or be grateful for it, then I get upset and worry that it didn't make a difference. And, while I've worked on it, I often find myself worried about what I'll say to someone else in conversation rather than listen and respond based on what the other person said. In addition, as I mentioned in my small group on Monday, I pray for others, but I don't pray for others enough. So much tends to creep in about me, me, me...and then my thoughts have wandered without my awareness...

In today's Gospel, we hear about the Annunciation of Jesus' birth to Mary, and we hear Mary's yes. She was humbled before God and did not seek any means of glory on her own. She said yes to God, and, at that moment, she turned all eyes toward God with her words, "let it be done to me according to your word."

It's like all the wake-up calls about humility are hitting at once. (I think it was either Fr. Barron's podcast homily this week or Fr. Mike's podcast homily that focused on humility too.) And it's quite revolutionary - I didn't realize how much I had shifted the focus to myself and my feelings/reactions. My main goal needs to be God - letting God's goodness and light shine through me so that I may lead others to God...

3 comments:

  1. Is that Fr. Mike Schmitz? If so, I love his homilies, too! If not, you should listen to his. He's doing a series on covenant theology for Lent because it ties so well to the readings this cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. He is the best. I love that his homilies are directed at his students but so completely relevant to us "grown-ups."

      Delete