I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Catholic School Experience, Dr. Seuss Feel

Because I will likely not be reading this to the students at Wednesday's Mass (we're opting for something simpler and shorter), I decided to share my Catholic Schools Week poem with you here:

Beginning in Kinder
Going up through 12th grade -
A love for learning was nurtured,
Catholic school girl was made.

At HFS grade school
mighty falcons were we -
We soared high and proud
in every activity.

I played every sport
that the school had to offer -
volleyball, basketball,
track, softball, and soccer.

Through student leadership board,
school news, choir, and mime,
I learned so many ways
I could serve with my time.

In high school I flourished 
with my education
Because my Catholic grade school
gave me a solid foundation.

Study skills, reading habits
and working with peers
are things that stuck with me
after all of those years.

In high school my faith
grew more with each day
with my teachers and principal 
leading the way.

It was during this time
I prayed always to Mary -
a devotion that to this 
very day I still carry.

Through the course of the school day
we'd start with prayer in each class,
and each sports team was assigned
an afterschool day for Mass.

I remember the chapel 
we had right on campus
and during my passing periods
I'd stop and say hi to Jesus.

We had retreats every year
the out of state ones were best.
Spending time in reflection,
I realized I was blessed.

Because of my success in
Catholic high school, you see,
I earned scholarships that sent me
to college for free.

My parents were glad that
all those years of tuition
turned out to be investments
in future education.

And after that time
Catholic ed was still on my brain
so I became a teacher through ACE
at the University of Notre Dame.

The money pays better
in other jobs I suppose
But being a Catholic school teacher
I deliberately chose.

Catholic School Week reminds me
it's a celebration well-deserved
for it's in Catholic Schools where
we make God known, loved, and served.

No comments:

Post a Comment