I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Goals


Yes, the countdown came and went...it is now 2014. 2 0 1 4! Holy cow. Reminiscing with some long-time friends last night, we realized we graduated from high school 10 years ago this May. (Let's say that we all felt a little old.)


But, yes, here it is - 2014. Now, having been on vacation this past week and a half, I oftentimes found myself on Pinterest (in between all the visiting, trips to Publix, reading, and other things). While on the site, I found this idea for using with students in the new year -

from http://messyjofu.blogspot.com/2013/12/here-comes-2014.html

But I figured, why not use it for me too? So, here goes:

2 - Two new goals I have for this year:
     1) Spend more time doing things for self-improvement (cooking healthy, running more, reading more, trying new things, praying more, spending more time at Church-related events & in prayer groups) and less time making excuses/wasting time.
     2) Be a better friend and listener by keeping in touch via letters, emails, and phone calls. 
     (Bonus Goal = Go to the Holy Land - woo hoo! Thanks to my Church, this is going to be a reality this summer!)

0 - Something I'd like to stop doing: There are a lot of things I should stop doing, but the one I want to concentrate on is to stop spending so much wasted time on Facebook. (In addition, I'd like to stop eating quite so many sweets - all in moderation, I say.)

1 - One new book I want to read: Scratch that - there are at least 10 titles I already have lined up. (And heck, we're in the tens place, mathematically speaking.) Here are some of them: 
     - The First Phone Call From Heaven (Mitch Albom)
     - An Abundance of Katherines (John Greene - YA)
     - The Great Divorce (C.S. Lewis)
     - Divergent series (Veronica Roth - YA)
     - Jesus of Nazareth (Pope Benedict XVI)
     - Bell Canto (Anne Patchett)
     - The Heroes of Olympus series (Rick Riordan) - I left off after finishing The Lost Hero...

You know me...the list goes on...Any recommendations or must-reads I'm missing? Please let me know!

4 - Four things I want to learn:
     a) How to play the guitar
     b) How to more effectively use Twitter for professional development & edchats
     c) How to be more creative with my cooking (recipes or not)
     d) How to implement new assessment and classroom activities for my middle school students


Well, that just about does it. Have you thought about your goals and resolutions yet?

If you're still thinking, here are a few good reads:

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones! May the year ahead be a blessed one!

No comments:

Post a Comment