I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Snowed In? No Excuses, Please...

The thought crossed my mind about trying to switch my Ministry of Care day to a weeknight coming up when I got out of bed this morning. As it was, I already cancelled my run with my sister (and headed to the gym instead) due to the snow. And the roads just seemed to be slick and icy - not very good for driving.

However, when I got home from the gym, the driveway beckoned, pleading to be shoveled. And I, still warm from exertion, swapped my sneakers for snow boots and grabbed the shovel from my car. It probably took about 30 minutes, but it was good to be outside and breathing in the fresh, crisp air. It felt like a lost cause for 2 reasons: 1) It was still snowing, so chances were I would need to shovel it again later anyway; and 2) I was pretty determined that if I did end up going to MOC today that I would likely have to take the l and, therefore, not use my car (or the driveway) at all.

After sipping a steamy cup of coffee for a bit, my heart got the better of me, and I decided to get cleaned up and drive over to the hospital. (I mean, let's face it, this upcoming week is bound to be crazy anyways, and I had made a commitment.)

On this morning's rounds, I ended up with a short list of patients. Out of the six patients I visited, two individuals were actually in the process of leaving the hospital. Still, they were grateful for the opportunity to partake of the Eucharist, so they took the time to do so. Another patient told me, "Please come back," to which I responded, "Well, I personally won't be back until after the new year, so I hope you're still not here. However, someone from the Church will come by again later in the week."

My heart felt so happy when I left the hospital today. To think that I was about to let a little (well, a lot) of snow stop me - I am ashamed. And I am so glad I listened to my heart instead of my head. The hospital was right where I needed to be today. And I thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment