I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Give Me Your Burdens

Today's Gospel is short but very meaningful to me, as it is the one we read as Ministers of Care when we go into each hospital room to give Communion.

Short...but comforting...especially to those undergoing treatment or recovering at the hospital.

Today's reading serves as a reminder to me why I do what I do. And, let's face it, I need that reminder every now and again, especially on those days when it's hard to get myself out the door or when it would be easier to stop going altogether. (Trust me, I thought about it - but then I realized I was just being selfish if I did quit.)

But, don't we all need those kinds of reminders - ones that give us a swift kick in the pants and tell us to keep going?

I think it's especially true now, as we find ourselves in the midst of the holiday season - all the rushing, hustle & bustle. We need a reminder to snap us into remembering what really matters.

But God already gave us a reminder - He sent us His Son.

This Christmas, Lord, may we keep your presence and glory at the center of all we do. May we make it less about the shopping and parties and gifts that our culture keeps emphasizing and advertising, and, instead, make it more about preparing for your arrival and second coming. We ask this, in your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment