I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

One LONG Day...

Talk about hump day with a lot of oomph - man, it took a lot to get over it...but, after a 14+ hour day at school, I made it home.

We started off with Mass first thing this morning, which was lovely but also a little stressful because I have to make sure the students go up at the right time, coordinate the Eucharistic Ministers, check in with Fr. Larry, etc. As we left Mass, Fr. Larry had us all walk back to school by way of the fire department (located right next to the school) to say thank you for all of their service, as today we remembered all those involved in the events of 9/11. I think it's one of those small gestures that the kids will remember for a long time.

Classes went pretty well - 8th grade was up in the computer lab working on a project, and in 7th grade we learned about surrendering to God through prayer just like Mary did. I taught them the signs to the Our Father and a short Marian hymn over the past two days...it was pretty awesome. And then my 6th grade classes both took a test - which I am in the process of grading. (Note to self, next time include less short answer and more multiple choice. Ha ha.)

Right after school I was off and running to volleyball practice with my fourth grade girls. I think they were still excited by their win on Monday because they were a little bit silly. But we practiced bumping and serving quite a bit in preparation for our next game in a week. Woo hoo!

Grabbed a quick bite to eat before making final preparations for Curriculum Night (which, ultimately, is the reason I was at school until 8:45), and those were worth it because the event went over well. It was nice to be speaking to parents with whom I was already acquainted because I had taught a lot of their children in fourth grade. Apparently I am my father's daughter, as I got a few laughs during my presentation. (Well, technically, I gave 6 presentations, as the parents rotated to each teacher following their child's schedule, so I got pretty good by the end.)

And now I think it's time for bed. Two more days till the weekend...two days which I actually won't be spending in the classroom. It's sure making for an interesting week...

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment