I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Friday, March 1, 2013

Seeds

In light of my Thursday night Lenten small group at Church, I would like to repost something I wrote way back in August:


It's about planting seeds for a harvest we may not witness.

But, as my mom reminded me, sometimes we do get a glimpse at the seeds as they grow...

The mother of one of my students whom I taught in my third year out in Arizona (and who was in my afterschool sign language club) recently contacted me to let me know something special - her daughter was given the choice among different languages to study next year, including French, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, and ASL (American Sign Language). Guess what she chose...ASL. Hearing that really made my heart happy because I was (on a rare occasion) able to see that a small seed of desire to learn sign language in this young girl ended up growing into something she now wants to pursue on her own.

We often don't see how the seeds we are planting daily grow, but we can rest assured that they are growing.

And, to quote Oscar Romero (or whoever actually wrote the poem), "We are prophets of a future not our own."

No comments:

Post a Comment