I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday has been one of the most meaningful Masses of the year for me since I was younger. In trying to explain this to others, I am not always able to articulate my sentiments, but I try anyways...

For one thing, it is familiar to us - the story of Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, the waving of palms, the Last Supper, and Jesus' death on the cross is one we've heard our whole lives. But it doesn't get old. In fact, it grows more beautiful and meaningful with each passing year, as a fuller realization of Jesus' unconditional, sacrificial love becomes more apparent.

In addition, it requires congregational participation. We are the ones crying out "Crucify Him! Crucify Him!" I don't know about you, but that's pretty powerful. It reminds me of a retreat I went on in high school, where, after we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, we physically nailed our sins to a large cross. Through this action, it was made clear that Jesus died to save us from all of our sins - those sins which nailed Jesus to the cross.

It is also true that we get palm branches, which I always try to fold into a cross -->


There are other reasons too why Palm Sunday is such a special day in our faith, but I am not going to go into those here. But it is a day which I look forward too with great anticipation because it means, ultimately, that Easter is less than one week away. And that is truly a cause for celebration...

No comments:

Post a Comment