I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Opportunity's a-knocking

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
- Thomas Edison




If I teach my students one thing this year (in addition to coming closer to God), I want it to be that they should not be afraid of working hard. I want them to look a challenge (or a hard word problem in math) in the eye and believe they can do it. Even if they have a chance at failing, I want them to make that leap. If not here in a safe learning environment, then where? when?

Is that too much to want for my students? I know I always harp on the fact that if something was easy, then everyone would do it. But an opportunity occurs when you work hard to create it. Plus, isn't it that much better when we finally achieve something after working hard at it?

Yes, Thomas Edison sure was a bright guy.

So, the question is, when opportunity knocks, will we be prepared to answer, even if the "work" seems hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment