I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Grandpa, Sparty, and Me

As a twelve year old kid, I confess I didn't know much in the ways of the world. (And perhaps I still don't, but that's another story.) The point is that it was that year when I really started watching college basketball.

And, let's face it, it wasn't just any college basketball - it was Michigan State. (I'm pretty sure I dubbed myself an honorary member of the Izzone.) A fanatic (me) was born.


Why Michigan State? You know, people still ask me that to this day, and I love telling the story.

Actually, it's not much of a story, per se. It's really just for one simple fact - I wanted something in common with my grandpa. (I guess I realized even then what an incredible man he was.) Whether watching in the same room or on different TVs across the country, I knew that we would always be able to either celebrate or lament the team's results and stats at the end of each game. Without fail, it would be something we shared.

And we did just that for 14 years.

Eh, who am I kidding? He's still watching (wherever he is), I'm sure of it.

And I'll definitely keep watching too - heck, the team picture and schedule is the desktop background on my computer.

As I'm sure my grandpa would say, Sparty on...

No comments:

Post a Comment