I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, April 15, 2019

Staying humble and striving to be better...with some help from my friends

You ever have that feeling that you are friends (or walking around) with saints?

In Chicago I have been blessed to get to know many wonderful individuals through my church, and I am so grateful for their friendship because they encourage and challenge me to be a better person and follower of Christ through their daily actions.

One such friend got me involved in Bible study, led me to Mission OLA (where I now volunteer regularly), and has invited me to various Masses and faith-based events over the years. He is a daily Mass goer, and his wife brings their 2 year old daughter to daily Mass too, just a little later in the day. I knew they would be the perfect ones to verify what time daily morning Mass would be today at the church right around the corner, so last night after Mass I inquired.

To my dismay, daily Mass around the corner was canceled since one of the priests had been removed. However, my friend immediately said, "Come to Cantius. Morning prayer starts at 6:30 and then Mass is at 7am." Interesting...and requiring a bit more effort...hmm... I figured I could do it one day, so I told him I would see him there.

I am so grateful for the invitation, as Mass was absolutely beautiful. It was in English, and there was chanting, some use of Latin, some pre-Vatican II practices (e.g. priest facing East, use of the communion rail, etc.), and other things. The church itself is beautiful and very ornate. Overall, it was a peaceful and beautiful experience, especially since the sun was just coming up on my way there and then was melting the snow on my way home. My friend apologized that he was not able to say hello, as he had to rush after communion to catch the train...to catch the bus...to get to work. (Holy cow; if I ever complain about my commute, slap me!) But it honestly didn't matter - it was good just to be there to pray together and to have the opportunity to receive communion. (Plus, I'm sure I'll see him at church this week for Tenebrae.)

I don't know how I am so lucky to have such amazing friends. They help me realize how far from grace and how flawed I am (and I don't mean that in any kind of demeaning or morbid way) while, at the same time, help me strive to draw closer to God every day.

Thanks for looking out for me, God. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment