I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, April 28, 2019

4 Months Down of No New Clothes

As the calendar changed over from 2018 to 2019, I resolved to buy no new clothes in the new year. One of my previous co-workers had done just that a few years ago, and I thought, why not give it a try? A couple of friends thought I was crazy and that I probably would have a hard time with it. One friend thought I would just buy other things instead. Another friend thought about trying the challenge too.

While only 4 months in, here are a few things I have learned:

1. I have way too many clothes -->
While I have not added new clothes to my closet, I have put clothes in bags to be donated...and I still have way too much. I don't know how the clothes accumulate so much over time (aside from all of the race shirts)! In all honesty, I could probably try this no new clothes thing for two years and be okay.

2. It's easier to say no when you have a clear "rule" -->
Because I have set the hard line of absolutely no clothes buying, I'm tempted a lot less to even look in shop windows or at ads. I have unsubscribed from as many clothing store emails (e.g. Old Navy, Eddie Bauer, etc.) as I could. (I'm pretty sure the ads were tricking me into thinking I would save money if I bought more, while the truth really is you save money when you don't buy anything!) When I am waiting in line for the elevator at Trader Joe's and see the cute items in Loft, I can just turn away.
I found this to be true during Lent as well. Just for Holy Week (Palm Sunday through Saturday at sundown) I gave up all sweets. And while it was hard, I found it easier to forgo the treats than when I try to limit myself or reduce my intake at any other time. And it was so freeing! I knew I couldn't, so I didn't.

3. Changing up the routine can be good for the soul -->
It's definitely been eye-opening to live by this promise to myself. I have been dependent on material things without even realizing it. Yikes! But by making this resolution for 2019, I, in essence, hit the pause button and was able to start making small tweaks to live, in my humble opinion, a better life. I know that moving forward once 2019 comes to a close I will be more conscious of the clothing I buy and less impulsive of buying clothing even when it's on sale.


All in all, I am grateful for the graces I have already received through this resolution as well as the support of friends who keep checking in on me about it to see how it's going. Only 8 months to go - I totally got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment