I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Hearts, Hope, and Questions Burning

When I mention the Lenten song "Jerusalem, My Destiny," many people nod and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, we sang that all the time in my parish growing up." Interesting...we never did. Maybe it's a midwest thing?

Here's how it goes:
Refrain:
I have fixed my eyes on your hills,
Jerusalem, my Destiny!
Though I cannot see the end for me,
I cannot turn away.
We have set our hearts for the way;
this journey is our destiny.
Let no one walk alone.
The journey makes us one.

Other spirits, lesser gods,
have courted me with lies.
Here among you I have found
a truth that bids me rise. (Refrain)

See, I leave the past behind;
a new land calls to me.
Here among you now I find
a glimpse of what might be. (Refrain)

In my thirst, you let me drink
the waters of your life,
Here among you I have met,
the Savior, Jesus Christ. (Refrain)

All the worlds I have not seen
you open to my view.
Here among you I have found
a vision bright and new. (Refrain)

To the tombs I went to mourn
the hope I thought was gone,
Here among you I awoke
to unexpected dawn. (Refrain)



I honestly heard it for the first time this year, and for some reason it struck a chord with me. I haven't been able to shake it since. I've been to Jerusalem, yes, but I don't think that's it, or at least it's not the only reason. I think, instead, that it's the idea of being fixed on our destiny, which is heaven, the "new Jerusalem." And if you really dive into the lyrics, the references to scripture are simply beautiful. But even more than these individual parts is the overarching theme of hope - a hope that is shown to us in a "bright and new" way, something that is "unexpected."

So as this Lent draws to a close and we enter into the Triduum tomorrow, I can't help but meditate on what it means for me to "set my heart for the way." What am I doing that allows me to live with a singular focus on Jesus Christ? What's is distracting me from the ultimate end goal of heaven? Who has walked with me and with whom have/am I walked/walking?

My dad always quotes a recording of a preacher talking about Good Friday in light of the hope of the Resurrection - the man says, "That's because it's Friday...Sunday's a-comin'!" Sunday is "a-comin'," and we, as Christians/Catholics, can find so much hope in that. God fixed His eyes on His people, and He sacrificed His only son so that we might have eternal life. This Easter season, let us, in turn, fix our eyes on Him and work to right our steps for our journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment