I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Recognizing Gifts

At this time last year, I was lucky if I was able to run 2 or 3 miles - I was in process of getting back into running at an excruciatingly slow pace after discovering that I had plantar fasciitis. I had gone to physical therapy, got a shot of cortisone in my foot (which I will not forget the pain of any time soon), and resigned myself to mostly just using the bike at the gym.

Yet, with perseverance and, yes, a dose of stupidity, I was able to run 20 miles with my sister this past Saturday as part of my training for an upcoming spring marathon. (Surprisingly, I'm not too sore today - woo hoo!) If that's not a miracle, I don't know what is! I am so grateful to friends who have suggested shoes, inserts, and other ideas for mitigating the pain along the way - I wouldn't still be running today if it wasn't for them.




Sometimes, we get knocked on our butts, and it is only then we realize that we often take our abilities for granted. It is only then that we realize we can't rely on our own strength - we need God, and we need others.

For me, it wasn't until I had to learn to deal with the reality of plantar fasciitis that I realized what a gift being able to run (however fast or slow on a given day) truly is. And I pray that I don't need something quite so drastic any time soon to remember that no ability (or person, for that matter) should ever be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment