I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Did you know Mary unties knots?

I just finished a novena to Our Lady, Undoer of Knots, but it wasn't a novena in the typical sense. Yes, it took nine days. But each day had a special reflection from the places of Pope Francis's visit to the Holy Land that was put into a book (that I happily stumbled upon in the Notre Dame bookstore this summer):


It was a unique and special experience because I was able to learn more about this title of Mary, pray the Rosary with focused intentions daily, and think back on the places I was able to visit in the Holy Land two summers ago (and how the author related her experience in these spaces to her devotion/understanding of Mary's role in our lives)...

the Church of All Nations (site of the Agony in the Garden)...

the Western Wall (we didn't realize at the time you are not supposed to turn your back on it)...

Shepherds' Field (site of angel appearance to shepherds to announce Christ's birth)...

the Jordan River (site of Jesus' baptism)...

the stone of unction (in the Holy Sepulchre)...

Yad Vashem (the Holocaust Museum)

All of our lives are full of knots and tangles (jealousy, pride, etc.), some visible to others and some invisible. It's hard to work through these knots by ourselves. Mary wants to help us untie them. We need to let go so she can.

Coincidentally, I was experiencing trouble with a knotted necklace chain about midway through my novena. As I struggled to untie the chain, I couldn't help but realize that the tighter I pulled and tried to control the knot, the more unmanageable it became. When I had the help of a needle and some light (and when I lightened my grip a little), I was able to get the knot undone. Needless to say, I was struck by this tangible example of undoing knots!

It's safe to say that prayer (especially to our Blessed Mother) helps us in this way too. I fully believe that we need to let go, offer up our "knots," and watch Mary work in our lives.

-----------------------------

On another note, one that is bittersweet, summer vacation came to a conclusion today, but not before I had the chance to see some friendly faces either living in or stopping through Michigan:

one of my ACE housemates

a friend from during my ACE time in AZ

friends from ACE whose wedding we attended this past March
These visits were the perfect end to the vacation. ACE brought so many incredible people into my life, and for that I am more grateful than words can ever express.

No comments:

Post a Comment