I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What About a Slow Down?

Talking out loud - no real direction of my thoughts, just throwing it all out there into the open air of my car. Cruising down Clark Street, I was never so glad to have foggy windows. Although nowadays with technology that allows people to talk on the phone via Bluetooth or speakerphone, one hardly has to worry about a passing driver's unsolicited judgment on one's mental state.

It felt pretty good to just send my brainwaves into the void. I didn't get any answers, but I'm pretty sure my head felt even the slightest bit lighter. And, more importantly, my mood improved. (That could have been due to the change in radio tunes - suddenly there was a real driving beat coming through those speakers.)

To the point, though, I have more "to-do"/reminder post-it notes on my desk at the present moment than some people gather in a semester-long period. I send more emails to myself on any given day than I send emails to my fellow faculty members combined.

Face it - working ahead doesn't always help; sometimes it even ends up bringing on more work/stress.

Sheesh.

When will it all slow down?

I'm praying that Confirmation is the "magic slow-down point," but then I remember that following shortly thereafter is the end of the trimester, which means report cards (and report card comments), parent/teacher conferences, and other meetings signaling we only have one more trimester to get our butts in gear.

In reality, there probably is no be-all, end-all "magic slow-down point" (except when we die, and, who knows, maybe not even then), but, rather, we get all these mini slow-down moments instead. A weeknight here, a long weekend there, a cancelled meeting at school...you get the idea. We gotta seize 'em when we get 'em.

How do we seize them? We do it by being in the moment, by breathing, and by slowing down. We seize them allowing ourselves to laugh and to not take any one thing too very seriously. We seize them by thanking God for all the opportunities that get us so busy in the first place - some people never even get these chances...

Sometimes, you just have to make your own "slow-down."

No comments:

Post a Comment