I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Friday, August 28, 2015

Happy Hour...Happy Week!

Happy Hour happened tonight. Yes ma'am. Right on the Riverwalk in downtown Chicago.

And it was lovely.

And it was most fittingly named, for I was, indeed, happy.

What teachers and educators have so aptly nicknamed the "honeymoon phase" of the year, I am in it full on with my 6th graders. I am knocking on wood trying not to jinx myself at every possible turn, but they are such a delight. Yes they get a little antsy and there are times when we stop, "rewind," and try again. But, for the most part, they engage in the tasks (with one small exception using the iPads today) and they partner talk about what they are actually supposed to be talking about.

Marvelous.

Will it last? Let's hope so. (At least for this year, right?) Let them be those angsty teenagers next year...or, better yet, wait until high school.

But more than simply the students (not including the 8th graders - we've got some work to do...but it should be good work), I truly feel like part of a team. When misbehavior comes calling in the classroom, I have so many people I can turn to for suggestions, and I don't feel the least bit judged! Other teachers (who are even busier than I am - and man, do I feel like I hardly have two seconds to breathe in a given day!) actually have taken time to sit down with me or chat while making copies. It is incredible. Such a huge help and joy in my job. Team effort, oh yeah!

Lots of work to do this weekend, including developing a genre project for the 6th graders and finishing some lesson plans. Groceries and laundry are a must, but I do plan on sprinkling in some more fun with friends as well as Sunday night Mass.

Woo hoo - week 1 - we did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment