I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Examine the Examen

Lent has always been a much needed time to refocus my prayer life, and this season is no different. Something I started to do every night before going to bed is pray the Ignatian Examen.

As the website above explains, there are 5 simple steps* to follow in this prayer:

1. Become aware of God’s presence.
2. Review the day with gratitude.
3. Pay attention to your emotions.
4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it.
5. Look toward tomorrow.

*In the book I am currently using (Reimagining the Ignatian Examen), it uses 5 R's to remember the steps: Relish, Request, Review, Repent, Resolve.



There are a few things I have found to be most wonderful about this routine of prayer:

1) It takes less than 15 minutes...but those 10 +/- minutes are meaningful.

2) It is easy to use, and it helps me walk through the day in such a way that I focus on the good.

3) Best of all, it allows me to wake every morning with gratitude as the first thing on my mind.


I look forward to using the variations on the Examen as laid out in the book throughout (and after) the Lenten season. I encourage you to try your hand at the Examen too, especially if you are looking for a different prayer experience.

I pray that you continue to have a blessed Lenten season. Remember to find things (both large and small) for which to be grateful and for which to give thanks to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment