I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, August 28, 2014

2 Wednesday Take-aways

They're back...the class that just keeps talking...

And I'm the one at a loss for words.

I've already solicited advice, tried different tactics, waited until I was blue in the face...but some continue to do their own thing. (Yes, they've been this way as a group since at least 3rd grade.) I think I may try parent phone calls next - not to be negative, but to get everyone on the same page. They've already heard the message about respect (for their classmates, for me, etc.) from me, but they need to hear it at home too.

In speaking with some fellow teachers at dinner last night, it seems that part of the problem with respect in the classroom is that a lot of children aren't expected to show respect at home - parents seem to be more concerned with being a friend to their kids (and to their kids' friends) than being the parent. Now, please know that I'm not judging any parents or saying how parenting should be - trust me, I'm not a parent, so I have no place in doing so - but it's just an observation.

And it's going to be a tough conversation to have with some parents, I'm sure. But I think I need to do it...

---
On an otherwise classroom-related note, I read Because I Love You with my 7th and 8th grade Religion classes.

Yes, I still read picture books to 13 and 14 year olds...and the results are awesome! Students engaged in beautiful discussions about "the hole," sin, and free will. Many students slowly began to understand that God didn't create us to have us be puppets or to force us to want to one day be with Him in heaven - it's our choice...but every time we fall away, God is already coming to us to bring us back. He's (actively) waiting with His arms wide open.


Oh, we have plenty of other picture books lined up for the year. Let's see how the kiddos do...

No comments:

Post a Comment