I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back to School - Survey Says...

My students completed a survey during the first part of class today. As you can see, it's pretty open-ended, so I wasn't sure what kinds of responses I'd get.

Here were some of my favorites:

Who is the person you most respect?
   - God
   - Abraham Lincoln
   - my parents
   - Fr. Pat

What is something you are afraid of?
   - suspension over heights
   - a torturous death
   - bugs
   - spiders
   - doing bad in school

What is your favorite prayer?
   - the meal prayer
   - The Hail Mary (in Spanish)

What is one thing about the Catholic faith that most confuses you?
   - how God just made people
   - I am confused about heaven - what it looks like and if I'll see anyone I know
   - the Catholic family tree
   - how everything was made
   - why God doesn't talk to us using words
   - how Jesus and God are the same, yet Jesus is God's son
   - that Mary never had original sin - did she ever sin?
   - nothing really confuses me that much

What is one thing about the Catholic faith that most excites you?
   - That we can pray to God for hope
   - Tasting the body and blood of Christ
   - Mass
   - the promise of heaven
   - that I can be forgiven and protected by God
   - when we die we will see God

What is one of the MOST important things you want me to know about you?
   - I am awesome.
   - I pay attention in class.
   - I make mistakes because I'm not perfect.
   - I like to learn.

What is one thing you expect of me as your teacher?
   - I expect you to have a little fun
   - To teach me great things
   - That you can have fun when we do during class
   - That you are inspiring and a good role model
   - very understanding and fun!!!
   - no pop quizzes (please)
   - to not give a lot of homework
   - to be awesome and to give me good grades
   - to help me succeed in religion
   - Just do what you do :)

I really only spent a whole class period with both six grades today. I saw 7th grade for about 10 minutes after advisory - we were putting together binders as a homeroom - and I didn't even get a chance to see the 8th grade, except during lunch.

But I think the kids are ready to be back from summer break, and I think they are ready to learn.

And, I must say, I very much appreciate the opportunities I have built in throughout the day to breathe, reflect, and prepare. (It's so much different from last year in that respect - I don't feel the constant go, go, go!)

Only one more day till the weekend - That's probably a good thing...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you started with your kids you had before! :) That definitely should help ease into the comfort zone!

    Loved some of those responses to the survey questions. Neat idea!

    ReplyDelete