I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Change of Plans...and then back on track

What are you doing after school today?

Well, the original plan was to score some Social Studies quizzes, fix up the classroom, drive home, head to the gym, eat dinner, and then go to volleyball.

Plans changed, however, when my co-teacher and I realized our fourth grade boys had a baseball game at 4. (Lucky for me it was close to my apartment, so I dropped my car off and made my way over and met my co-teacher there.) While our team lost by the 10-run/mercy/slaughter rule, they still seemed to have a good time. And they seemed excited (in a fourth grade boy kind of way) that we had come to see them. It was really nice to see the boys on the field playing as a team, as so many times (especially of late) during the day the students are at each other's throats. And it was good to chat with some parents too - we haven't seen many of them since conferences, unless we randomly catch them in the car line at drop-off or pick-up.

Afterwards, I headed home, and my after-school plans resumed at the dinner portion. Volleyball was a lot of fun tonight, and we kept playing until 10. I don't think I'll make it to any remaining games due to YAC book club next week and ladies' night the one after that, but I'm glad I started finally going this year.

It's probably time for bed - but I honestly am not that tired. I believe that exercising that close to when I try to fall asleep cannot help in that manner at all. Oh well...

P.S. Just started reading Because of Mr. Terupt and couldn't put it down. After about 100 pages last night, I forced myself to close the cover, tuck it away, and get some sleep. But I plan to finish it soon. It's a good one - It is the story of a class of 5th graders and their teacher. And it is told from 7 different students' perspectives over the course of a school year. The children are definitely different personalities, and each one carries baggage that others (except the reader) don't know about.

I see potential for some great classroom discussions on this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment