I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, May 27, 2013

Change in plans...

Sooooooo, I recently agreed to take on a new position at my school next year. Instead of co-teaching 4th grade (self-contained), I will be teaching middle school religion.

Next year's plans have been brought up with a few people (mostly family and close friends). Here are some responses I've received when I've explained the change for next year:

Middle School? Good luck with that...

Is that all you're teaching?

It is a full time job, right?

Wow, you're brave.

Well, that will be different...

I'd love teaching religion all day...if it weren't to middle school students...

Thanks for the support, guys.

Just kidding. Most of these comments have been followed by things like "You'll be good at that" or "I'm sure you'll be ready to meet the challenge."

It is going to be different, that's for sure. I'll miss working with my current co-teacher, and I will miss the 4th grade age group (and having one class for the whole day). But this opportunity will allow me to experience teaching other grade levels - can't expect to stick to just 4th grade "4"-ever. (Though, I must admit, it is a pretty ideal age group.) In addition, the principal has been very supportive in assuring me that if, in a year or two, I want to go back down to 4th grade (or thereabouts) that she would support that decision.

So, for now, we'll just have to finish out the year strong and then wait and see. Middle school, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. that last comment was mine ;)

    (remember, "adventure barnaby!" woohoo!

    ReplyDelete