I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, September 2, 2012

How am I different?

The idea of leaving Mass different than when we came was an idea on which our priest preached tonight. And it's not a new idea to me, by any means; in fact, I believe I've blogged about that very thought before (as it was mentioned by another priest at one time or another).

But I needed reminding of that tonight.

It was actually an idea that I had already given some thought to this week, as I am reading Gift from the Sea (by Anne Morrow Lindbergh). It is a book in which she focuses on the demands and stages of life for women, and she also makes a case for balance, solitude, and peace. So, again, the idea of preparing myself for Church to allow myself to be renewed by the experience was already mulling around in my head.


In the book, she says,

"The church is still a great centering force for men and women, more needed than ever before...Our daily life does not prepare us for contemplation. How can a single weekly hour of church, helpful as it may be, counteract the many daily hours of distraction that surround it? If we had our contemplative hour at home we might be readier to give ourselves at church and find ourselves more completely renewed..."

Therefore, as both the priest and the author (of Gift from the Sea) noted, we should expect to be changed by our weekly visits to Church, but only if we prepare ourselves throughout the week in our thoughts, words, and actions. As it said in the Readings this weekend, " Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves." (Jas 1: 22)

So, the ultimate question becomes, How am I different - What am I doing now to put what I heard and experienced at Mass into my life and actions?

And the answer...?

I guess I need to be more aware of finding that each day too.

(On a different, but Mass-related note, I thoroughly enjoyed the preparation hymn this evening, so I decided to include the lyrics below. I particularly like the part in verse 2 that says "Let my actions, Lord, express what my tongue and lips profess." Enjoy!)

As a Chalice Cast of Gold

1. As a chalice cast of gold, 
Burnished, bright, and brimmed with wine, 
Make me, Lord, as fit to hold 
Grace and truth and love divine. 
Let my praise and worship start 
With the cleansing of my heart.

2. Save me from the soothing sin 
Of the empty cultic deed 
And the pious, babbling din 
Of the claimed but unlived creed. 
Let my actions, Lord, express 
What my tongue and lips profess. 

3. When I bend upon my knees, 

Clasp my hands, or bow my head, 
Let my spoken, public pleas 
Be directly, simply said, 
Free of tangled words that mask 
What my soul would plainly ask. 

4. When I dance or chant Your praise, 

When I sing a psalm or hymn, 
When I preach Your loving ways, 
Let my heart add its Amen. 
Let each cherished outward rite 
Thus reflect Your inward light.

1 comment:

  1. good homily- and yes a perfect timing for a reminder to let God transform our lives!

    ReplyDelete