I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Challenges in the Classroom

It's Thursday night - and, admittedly, this is both easy and difficult to realize at the same time. Each day has seemed to drag on (as I had curriculum Wednesday night and aftercare tonight at school), but, taken as a whole, the week has almost flown by.

In respect to school, the classroom has been presenting quite a range of challenges and rewards. At times, it is hard to believe that we're dealing with the same group of students. They can be so focused and on task at one moment but then completely chatty and off-task the next, especially during work that is supposed to be independent. And, I hate to say it, but I've been at a loss of how to deal with it.

I have been pointed in the direction of "Whole Brain Teaching" by a friend and fellow teacher, but I haven't tried the techniques yet - waiting for my co-teacher to watch the videos so we're on the same page. I think we definitely need more high energy activities that make the students think so they don't have time to think about misbehaving.


This class is actually starting to remind me of my third year of teaching out in Arizona. They were a chatty group too. Somehow, we managed to get through the year (and that was with some additional help/suggestions from my principal), so I have faith we can do likewise here. They are just a puzzle I haven't been able to solve yet.

So many personalities...talkers...caller-outers...

But so many laughs...shares...smiles...thoughts...moments...


Good (and sometimes great) things are happening in our classroom every day. Sadly, it's easier, oftentimes, to see your downfalls and those of others.

But I try to remember the words from an old film favorite, "Pollyanna": "We looked for the good in them, and we found it, didn't we?"

And I challenge myself to do just that.

1 comment:

  1. yay pollyanna! good quote- thanks for that.

    i'm at a loss too... it's ridiculous at times... with the talking and the lack of following directions (after repeating, acting out, drawing on the board, other students repeating, etc. for each activity).

    ReplyDelete