I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Breaking In the New

As I was about to walk out the door this morning, I had the sudden urge to change my shoes - instead of wearing one of my new pairs, I opted for the old, broken in pair.

My reasoning? It was likely to rain (so I didn't want my new pair to be ruined), and I didn't think my feet would be happy with me at the end of the day if I chose the newer, stiffer ones.

It's hard to break in new shoes. Even though they're beat up and worn, the old ones are comfortable and familiar.


With teaching it's kind of the same way. (Bear with me - Yes, I am comparing my classes to shoes.) There are so many days at the beginning of the year in which I have longed for my class from last year. It's not that I don't enjoy this year's class - it's just hard to break them in. Everything just takes longer...and I don't know if they always get my jokes...and it's always the hardest to get started with something new. (And when last year's class was SO good, it's hard not to compare.)

But, if you think about it, last year's class was once in the same position - they were the "new shoes" that needed time and wear. 

Now, it is time to break in this new class. I think they're ready to go. (Again, they'll be a little slow at first, and they'll need a lot more guidance and scaffolding, but they just need some time and practice.)

And it's also time to break in those nice new black shoes...

(Just not tomorrow - I have aftercare duty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment