I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Love That Sharon Creech

Being an avid reader since before I can remember, many books have crossed my path - some have come by my own choosing and others have been shared with me by teachers, friends, and family.

One of my all-time favorite authors is Sharon Creech. Ever since being introduced to "Walk Two Moons" by my 6th grade teacher (who, coincidentally, is also one of my all-time favorites) during a read-aloud, I was hooked. Since then, over the course of middle school, high school, college, and into the present, I have accumulated and read all of her books. I am even subscribed to her blog: Words We Say

Well, imagine my utmost surprise and delight in learning that Sharon Creech would be in Chicago this past Saturday for a book signing after a stage adaptation performance of her novel, "Walk Two Moons." I figured this out on Friday morning (right before I left for school), and I had tickets to the event for me and my sister by that very afternoon. I was not about to miss out. (I even included it in our classroom's weekly newsletter if by some chance one of my kiddos could go too.)

That was such a good life choice. The show was incredible (just like the book) - it had the audience laughing and crying, cheering for the main character (Sal) the whole way. The show was followed by a talk-back by the cast, Sharon Creech, and the person who adapted the book for the stage. Then, everyone was ushered downstairs for an ice cream social and the book signing.

Luckily, Marisa and I got to the front of the line, and we were able to get a few books signed. My favorite is the one Sharon Creech did for "Love That Dog" (see below):


And what really blew me away was how humble and down to earth Sharon Creech was. She even took time to let us take our picture with her (even though it is a bit fuzzy):


Love that book. Love that play. And LOVE that Sharon Creech.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it awesome when famous people take time to have real conversations with fans? It's not the same as "knowing" them, but when you already know their work, it comes close! I've had great moments with Neil Gaiman and Jon Foreman (from Switchfoot).

    ReplyDelete