I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Like a child

"Are we going out to recess?" nearly every child in my class asked as we prepared for lunch.
"Looks dry enough to me."
"But it's so cold!" they whined.
35 degrees is cold? Heck, I'm the one from Florida experiencing my first Midwest winter. This weather is nothing compared to what lies ahead this winter...right?
"Grab your coats and your lunch boxes. We'll definitely be going outside," I told them.

...And, wouldn't you know it, when they all got outside and had the chance to run around, they forgot about complaining. The cold wind whipping at their faces was refreshing and invigorating. They were actually screaming with delight because they swore they were seeing snow. (Now, I was out there with them, and I definitely didn't see it.) They could not contain their excitement - it is clear they are earnestly looking forward to the first snowfall of the season. And, I have to admit, I am too.

I guess some things always are and always will be exciting, like the first snow. Some things truly are better when viewed from eager eyes like a child's.

No comments:

Post a Comment