I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Whenever you remember...

"Memories light the corners of my mind..."


Telling students that the assignment is to write a memory poem is like setting children loose in Disney World - there are way too many options from which to choose, even if there is already a favorite in mind. Talk about an ambitious lesson.

To start off, my co-teacher and I each shared a memory poem we had written, and then I shared a poem/song my dad had written when his mother passed away. And as I started to read it to the class, I couldn't get through the first stanza - so many feelings surfaced, and I found myself crying right there in class. (By the grace of God) One of the students jumped right in and finished reading the poem in my place.

For me, the images brought to mind through the words painted such an accurate portrait of my grandma that I couldn't help but cry as I remembered how much I loved her and still miss her.

And I think the feeling and intimacy of all of the poems we shared with our students today really hit home for them, as many of them created their own beautiful images of beloved people and places in their writers' notebooks. Students told stories through poetry of trips to the seashore, First Communion, best friends, family pets, and more. It was such an incredible feeling to see them truly open up and put their heart into the words on the page. They were writing, truly writing.

When it came time to share, oh you bet they were proud and ready. Disappointment actually came when we announced it was time to stop shares in order to make it to lunch on time. (Many even said they would forgo lunch just to be able to share - such drama kings and queens, I do say.)

There are so many great memories out there, but so few actually end up on paper. We may not be Emily Dickinsons or Robert Frosts or William Shakespeares. But we all have memories we keep alive in our hearts that are yearning to be set to paper.

All we need now is a pencil...

No comments:

Post a Comment